Before we get into the FAQs, a quick explainer of how we work!
Each month, we announce two to three designs we'll be making available for pre-order that month. We typically make this announcement around mid month. It might be an older design, it might be a new design. It might be an older design in a new colour!
Towards the end of the month, we make those two or three designs available to pre-order for a period of five days. We recommend joining our newsletter to be notified about upcoming designs and when pre-orders open.
We typically retire our older designs once they've been released a couple of times (or if the first release was particularly huge). We do this because it becomes boring for our existing customer base to see the same designs being released over and over (particularly given we only release a couple of designs per month), but also because we know our customers enjoy knowing our designs our limited edition and exclusive, rather than mass produced and likely to be spotted at every event they attend!
To summarise: 2-3 designs are available to pre-order at the end of each month. Follow us on Instagram or join our mailing list to be notified of what the designs are, and when pre-orders are open!
1. Do you post internationally?
Yes! If your country isn't listed, please let us know and we'll add it.
2. Do you offer payment plans?
Yes! Simply head to the product listing when pre-orders are open, click on 'payment plans', and fill out the request form. We usually allow a couple of days to complete the form, and then send out invoices at least 24 hours before the pre-order cut off date closes. Please pay attention to all dates listed on the request form - your first payment is due before the pre-order cut off date, and we're unable to accept late payments/orders!
3. Where are your bags made, and what from?
They're handmade by our family-owned ateliers in the Philippines! Our wicker bags are made from sustainable rattan (wicker refers to the method of woven construction, rattan is the material). Rattan is a non-timber and naturally renewable palm which can be sustainably harvested, and as such provides an environmentally friendly alternative to forest logging. Our rattan is harvested by hand, from local farmers and co-ops - minimising carbon footprint while supporting local growers. The cultivation, harvest and use of rattan is invaluable to livelihoods throughout Asia, and fundamental to traditional Filipino craftsmanship.
Bag linings are either linen (sourced from flax), or cotton (sourced from ... cotton).
4. Can I request a customisation to my bag?
No, we are unable to offer custom changes to our bags, no matter how large or small. It creates a logistical nightmare along the entire line, from us having to keep track of who has ordered which change, to the production manager, atelier, workers etc who have to track that one bag different from the rest. We respectfully ask that you don't request customisations to your individual bag, as the answer will always be a hard no.
5. I want to buy a bag as a gift for someone, can you please make sure they don't buy it themselves?
We love that you're doing this! However, please be aware there's nothing we can do to stop your recipient from purchasing for themselves. We're unable to tell them orders have closed (when they clearly haven't), nor can we tell them we're sold out (when they're clearly not). It puts us in a difficult position as we're lying to a would-be customer, and puts the onus on us to make sure the surprise isn't derailed even though bags are clearly still available for sale. While we're happy to not blab to the recipient, we're unable to intervene should they choose to make a purchase themselves.
6. I've ordered X as a gift, can you please tell me if the recipient has already ordered it?
We're happy to help with this! We do ask that you please run this past us BEFORE pre-orders close (and, ideally, BEFORE you yourself place an order). Our cancellation policy includes a non-refundable admin charge, and it may apply in these circumstances.
7. I'm moving house/changing address before my pre-order arrives, what can I do?
Email email@example.com and let us know which specific bag designs you're waiting on, and your new address! Please make sure you notify us of each specific bag you have ordered, so we can update each of your orders. Due to the number of orders we receive each month, we aren't able to remember each unique order placed or how many bags each customer has on order!
We ALWAYS reply to confirm we have received your address update - if you don't receive a response from us, PLEASE email us again!
8. How do I stay up to date with when my bag will be sent out?
Please join our mailing list! We email updates on production turnaround and shipping schedules each month, and this is the most reliable way to know if your bag is ahead of, on time, or behind schedule, as it arrives straight to your email inbox!
Updates and schedules are also saved in our Instagram highlight reels, and if you're after more frequent updates, we recommend checking our updates page, which is updated almost weekly for bags nearing the end of the production timeline/shipping to Australia.
9. Oops, I didn't place my order on time / forgot to pay my payment plan invoice on time, can I still order?
No. While we appreciate you may be disappointed and have a reason for missing our cut off date, we ask that you please understand we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere with regards to the cut off date. We receive literally dozens of messages from people who forgot to order/pay their payment plan invoice after every round of pre-orders; some people within minutes of the cut off, some people up to two weeks afterwards. If we made an exception for every single person, our timing with placing our orders with our ateliers would blow out by weeks.
We place our order with our ateliers ASAP in order to kick off production as soon as possible. In order to commence work, our ateliers need to determine supplies/materials for production, and place their orders with multiple different suppliers (ie. fabric, leather, hardware, rattan).
If we were to throw in 'just one extra bag' (or an extra bag for every late order up to two weeks after pre-orders close), our ateliers would need to update multiple different suppliers, create repeated invoices ... it creates a LOT of extra work.
"What about the spare bags? Can't I have one of those?" No. The spare bags are ordered to cover damages which may occur during transit - not for would-be customers who missed pre-order cut off.
Our cut off times are clearly stated in shop listings, social media posts, and in the newsletter. We also send a 'last chance' newsletter 24 hours before pre-orders close.
10. Are your bags vegan friendly?
Not always. If unsure about a particular design, please contact us for more information.
11 . Are you open to collaborations?
If you're genuinely interested in a professional shoot featuring our bags alongside other products, please feel free to get in touch! We'd LOVE to collaborate with other brands/creators/artists on styling shoots etc.
If you're a brooch, fabric or other designer and you'd like to collaborate on a design, we're 110% interested - please get in touch with your ideas!
12. I'm an instagram influencer/blogger, will you send me a freebie in exchange for a shout out?
If you genuinely feel your audience is a good match for our designs, and that we'll both benefit from a collaboration, please feel free to contact us with the following information:
- Your media kit and analytics
- Stats (media accounts, followers, engagement numbers)
- Follower demographics
- Offers/projects (how will you use my product? Videos? Fashion shoot? Stories? How many posts about the product can I expect?)
- Contact details.
However, please understand our bags are handmade in limited quantities, and we don't have product on hand to simply give away to strangers. Our priority is always our customer base, not influencers et al.
We're also significantly more likely to consider this from an existing customer who we know is likely to be familiar with our brand and work, rather than a stranger who has stumbled upon us and is cold-calling.
13. I'd love to feature your bags on my blog - would you be willing to provide a promotional code to my readers?
Potentially! Please send through the details listed in question nine, and if we sound like a good match, we'll happily provide an exclusive discount code for your readers. This has the added bonus of allowing us both to see if Wicker Darling products really do appeal to your audience, pathing the way to future collaborations!
Postage & Shipping
Yes, we post worldwide!
Shipping on all orders is free, and includes tracking and insurance in case of loss or damage during transit. Please be aware we have no say in whether Australia Post chooses to pay out insurance.
Having been in business for a couple of years now, we've trialled both pre-orders and in-stock releases, and have polled and discussed both options with our customer base at length.
You - our fabulous would-be customers and existing Wicker Darling family - have overwhelmingly indicated you prefer our pre-order system, outlining the benefits you enjoy from pre-ordering, with the only notable drawback being the turnaround time.
You have indicated you love pre-orders because:
- It levels the playing field when it's time to order. Our international customers don't need to worry you'll miss out on bags because you're asleep or at work when bags are released.
- You don't need to experience the anxiety of sitting at your device for the release time and hoping you won't miss out if the bags rapidly sell out.
- Our pre-order periods - typically five days long - give you time to consider your budget and your purchase, rather than panic purchasing for fear of missing out. You're far less likely to experience buyer's remorse! This reflects one of our core business intentions: that you love your buying experience with us every time.
- Our pre-orders allow you to pay a deposit to secure your order, and pay the balance later.
- Knowing exactly how many of you want a bag takes the guesswork out for me. This means we can keep my costs low as we don't have unsold stock sitting around.
- It's also better for the environment because again, there's no unsold bags sitting around or likely to end up in landfill!
- Unlike other luxury brands, we don't shred unsold designs to 'maintain scarcity': we're committed to sustainable and ethical production practices wherever possible.
- You're joining an exclusive group of Wicker Darling collectors. As our bags are made to order, every bag is a limited edition. To date, none of our collections have surpassed 130 pieces, and most of our collections have been under 50. Every bag arrives with a hand numbered and signed collector card.
- We believe our bags are investment pieces well worth the waiting period.
Wicker Darling is committed to keeping our customers happy, and while pre-orders continue to work for you, we'll continue to maintain this practice!